?

Log in

No account? Create an account
May. 10th, 2006 @ 11:09 pm IVF ramblings
Where the heck am I?: on the couch
Current Distraction: ceebee snoring
Tags:
Hubby and I met with the RE today for our follow-up and to discuss our next steps. We got some good news, and some qualified good news. The good news is that doc is very optimistic that the next round will at least result in a pregnancy. Given that this was the first fresh transfer after the surgery, he puts our success rate at 50% (given our ages and all the rest). We've got the go ahead to start again at any time.

Here is where we do a bit of deciding. Background is that for my condition the provincial insurance will only cover 3 rounds of IVF. I thought we just completed and failed at our 3rd attempt. It turns out that because the first time we did IVF we had to cancel when I got so sick with OHSS, we still have one attempt left. *But* (there is always one of those isn't there?) the fertility centre just moved out of the hospital, (literally, they moved out yesterday) and because of this, their classification changes and they are no longer covered by the provincial insurance. As they are the only clinic of the eastern part of the province, there has been a great deal of protest and it looks like the legislation or designation of the facility will be changed. Will be. Looks like. Not quite written in stone yet. So, do we wait until Aug/September and see if anything changed or do we go ahead now, paying (as we thought we would have to do anyways), with no chance of being re-imbursed. And if we wait, will we run into a waiting list as everyone decides to try again once the insurance is re-established? So we are eligible for coverage, but can't currently get it at our current clinic, and have the green light to go ahead at any time, with good chances of it working. Bah.
Who does she think she is?
moneyhappy
[User Picture Icon]
From:running5k2day
Date:May 11th, 2006 01:41 pm (UTC)

To be or Not to Be...That is the Question

(Permanent Link)
Okay- so you guys have a 50-50 chance...and the DR thinks that things are looking good for ya'll. WoW! That is great news...hmmmm, now if there wasn't the problem with the insurance.Why can't things run smootly and why can't all the duckies fall in line perfectly? We didn't wait for our insurance cmpany. We sold of our RV & I pulled out all my savings and we went for it. Thank goodness we did. Now we have our little girls. Can you guys afford to do it without the insurance? If you can...go for it! Who knows, you might end up with twins =-) Good Luck with deciding what your next step will be. It's a hard one.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture Icon]
From:jkolovos
Date:May 11th, 2006 11:02 pm (UTC)
(Permanent Link)
I say if you have the means to do it now, then do it now. It seems like it is always something. We have the choice of doing a frozen transfer with one of the frozen five or moving forward with adoption. The frozen tranfer will be all out of pocket but only about $4000. The adoption will run a lot more, but the hub doesn't want to watch me miscarry again (don't blame him there!). We just decided that it is our best chance to become parents so it's worth it to us. Kind of the same issue...is it worth it to you to try now or wait and potentially still have to pay out of pocket should the insurance not be re-established?
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture Icon]
From:stella0017
Date:May 12th, 2006 03:16 am (UTC)

I don't get a vote

(Permanent Link)
But I say just decide what you and hubby want and DO IT if the answer is to go ahead. Don't wait!

love you,
stella
(Reply) (Thread)