About 3 weeks ago, after a particularly hot spell followed by some violent thunderstorms, I looked out my front window and noticed that the lights in our entry way had melted! Yep you heard me - melted. The plastic lenses were bubbling. Naturally this made me fairly nervous and I immediately asked hubby to disconnect the timer for the lights, hoping that we had averted the 'Couple Incinerated in Sleep - Faulty Lighting to Blame' headline. We have been living with the dark entryway since then. We finally got off our butts yesterday, hit the Home Depot and selected new fixtures.
Back at home, hubby grabs the ladder, removes an old fixture and hooks the new one up. Unfortunately, we did not take into account the width of the siding on the wall where the fixture is being installed. It is 8" deep, and the wall bracket portion of the new light is easily an inch and a half longer. Goofy looking to say the least. Armed with the necessary measurements, we head back to the 'Po, select another set of fixtures, and are merrily on our way home again. The first fixtures we purchased pointed up - the light portion came out from the wall bracket and went up from there. The new ones hung down from the bracket.
We have a faux double door at our entrance, the one on the left opens, the wall on the right has the same pattern as our door. Hubby installs the new downward facing light on the wall side first, we like the way it looks and he carries on. (Can you see what's coming?) He completes the install on the real door side, opens the screen door to call me to take a look, and yep, it hits the light!!! Grr. Neither of us saw it coming - sigh.
Luckily, this complete blunder has helped us make a decision, we were looking at new front and back doors, but one of the issues we were having was that the companies will not warranty if you have storm doors (too much heat builds up). So now, we will be removing the front screen door and getting a new insulated door. (There is no way I'm heading back to the 'Po to grab more lights.)
Until then, we will have to make sure not to slam the screen door open.